Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content


Parish Councils spend public money and their finances are scrutinised closely by both an Internal and External Auditor. As part of the process, which takes place at the end of every financial year, parishioners have the right to inspect the accounting records and other documents. 

Before the start of the current financial year, 2020/21, Charlwood Parish Council (CPC) set a budget for the next 12 months of £91,450 based on an estimated income of that amount. The biggest share of that income is made up of the Parish precept (£73,090 for 2020/21) which is collected by Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) on behalf of the Parish Council through the Council Tax.

In addition MVDC provided grants in the year totalling £12,586.  The Concurrent Grant, which is a contribution towards paying for services that the district council used to provide, paid £10,614 and there was a £1,972 share of a government grant provided in relation to the localisation of Council Tax Support (previously managed by central government) that became effective a few years ago.

The expense of maintaining the Pavilion, the Recreation Ground and the Millennium Field in Charlwood as well as The Withey in Hookwood and the playgrounds in both villages, takes up a large portion of the Parish Council’s income. Five part-time staff are employed and wages and pension commitments account for roughly a third of all expenditure.

Additional income is earned through hiring out the facilities at the Recreation Ground, the football pitch and cricket ground and the community room in the Pavilion. However the cost of maintaining the football pitch is considerable as is the cost of maintaining the trees, hedges and fences in all the open spaces.

Major projects planned for the future include combating the traffic problems that plague both villages on a daily basis and to provide a much-needed car park in Charlwood. 

Charlwood Parish Council's Annual Governance and Accountability Return (AGAR) for the financial year 2019/20 ending 31 March 2020 has been approved and can be found below along with the External Audit Certificate and Internal Audit Report. The documents for 2018/19 can be accessed here.

In accordance with the Local Audit and Accountability Act of 2014, local electors have the right to inspect the Accounts and associated documents. To do so they should contact the Parish Council's Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer, Trevor Haylett, at Rose Cottage, 11 Cotmandene, Dorking RH4 2BL. Telephone 01306 881942 or email to make arrangements between the hours of 11am and 3pm.



Conclusion of Audit 2019/20 and Public Rights Notice

CPC Conclusion of Audit File Uploaded: 1 December 2020 507.4 KB

Annual Accounting Statements 2019/20

CPC AGAR Section 2 File Uploaded: 1 December 2020 1.1 MB